Hilltop Community Farm in Candor, NY
Hilltop Community Farm
Hilltop Community Farm is the new home of CCE Tioga. Our vision is to become a center of agriculture and exploration of the natural world for Tioga County. We are planning to host beginning farmers in our farm incubator program, teach youth and adults all manner of agriculture topics such as tractor maintenance and safety, horticulture, animal care and more. While we are settling into our new offices here on the farm, we are busy planning for lots of activities for youth, families, and adults for the coming year.
What to know about the Hilltop Community Farm:
- We are located on Cass Hill Road in Candor
- The farm is 107 acres of mostly fields and some woods
- There are three ponds on the property
- There is a large, almost new, indoor riding arena with rubber footing and a pine-paneled warming room
- A Quonset hut holds lots of farm machinery
- There is a workshop that we plan welding and engine repair classes
- The view from the top of the farm is amazing
What is new at the farm? We have been busy all summer doing upgrades to the farm!
- We have a new driveway! Now we can accommodate about 40 cars or several horse trailers next to our beautiful riding arena. The driveway was donated and built by Paul Barber of State Line Auto, a CCE Tioga board member. Thank you so much, Paul, to you and your crew.
- We have a new classroom! Students from Owego Free Academy spent the month of July learning building trades by building out our classroom above the garage. It is a beautiful space and will serve as a classroom.
- We will be hosts to an agriculture class from Candor High School! Starting in mid-September, students from Candor High School will be using Hilltop Community Farm as their learning laboratory as they learn about agriculture.
- The vegetable fields have been prepared for the incubator farmers! Three acres of our best land has been plowed, disked and cover cropped. We are planning to install a deer fence this fall to protect the farmers' crops in the spring and summer of next year.
- We have been upgrading our electrical service! A farm always needs work, especially when there is aging wiring. We have been working to make our electrical systems safe and efficient.
To watch television coverage of the Hilltop Community Farm, click on the photos to the left.
Last updated September 9, 2022